As we approach the end of asparagus season, our head chef Richard Massey takes us through a delicious recipe that puts the vegetable at centre stage.
Asparagus with Parma ham and crispy hen’s egg
32 spears of thick asparagus
6 whole hen’s eggs
Parma ham slices (100g)
Parmesan shavings (100g)
100g plain flour
150g white breadcrumb (panko breadcrumb works best)
Oil for frying
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil
- Lower four eggs into the pan and cook for five minutes. Remove from the water and leave to cool.
- Once cold, peel the shell off the eggs being careful not to break the egg.
- Prepare three bowls for the coating: one with the flour, another for the two remaining eggs (beaten), and lastly the breadcrumb.
- Roll the cooked eggs through the flour, then the raw egg and finally the breadcrumb, making sure it evenly coats the egg. Set aside until ready to use.
- Pre-heat a fryer or deep pan of oil.
- Snap the woody ends off the asparagus and blanche in a pan of boiling water for two minutes. At the same time, place the four eggs into the fryer or pan of oil for two minutes or until golden brown.
- Place the asparagus onto serving plates, and top with the sliced Parma ham. Place the egg on top and shave the parmesan with a vegetable peeler over the dish to finish.